Radon is a radioactive gas that has no taste, smell, or color. You might not notice it, but it is probably present in your home.
Radon naturally comes from the soil and rocks in which radium or uranium decays. As a gas, radon enters your house through your basement foundation cracks and other breaches. When your indoor air has a high level of radon, you and your family are at risk of developing lung cancer.
The Dangers of Radon Exposure
Radon emits radioactive particles that, when breathed in, can damage cells in lungs. Therefore, long-term exposure to a high level of radon can raise your risk of developing lung cancer. The United States Environmental Protection Agency even reported that over 20,000 cancer fatalities each year are related to radon.
Early signs and symptoms of lung cancer include shortness of breath, wheezing, a persistent cough, and chest pains. Coughing up blood and having frequent infections such as pneumonia and bronchitis may also indicate lung cancer. Over time, a person with lung cancer may also experience significant weight loss, fatigue, and loss of appetite.
Lung cancer symptoms associated with radon often take five to 25 years to develop. There are also no specific medical tests today that can assess your level of exposure to radon gas. You have no way of knowing that you have radon poisoning until you get diagnosed with cancer. But, here’s the good news: you can lower your risk of developing lung cancer through radon exposure by having your home tested for radon.
Test Your Home for Radon
Radon testing for your own home is a must. Even if there is a declared average radon level in your neighborhood or state, radon levels vary from home to home. Plus, by testing your property, you will know which specific actions or renovations you need to undertake to lower the present radon level in your indoor air.
If you live in Utah and need radon testing, we can help. Get in touch with us today to know more about our radon testing services or schedule an inspection.